Interesting Facts about
|* Montreal is the largest
city in the Canadian province of Quebec.
* Montreal is the second-largest city in Canada. Its status of being the
largest city was taken by Toronto in the 1970s.
* Montréal is actually an island; it is surrounded by the St. Lawrence,
Ottawa and Prairies rivers.
* Montreal was initially called Ville-Marie (City of Mary). It was in
1775 that the city became known by its original name.
* The official language of Montreal, as defined by the city's charter, is
* Montreal is the second largest francophone (French speaking) city in
the World, after Paris, France
* The city is home to the largest church in Canada: St-Joseph's
* It is regarded as the ‘sister-city’ to Hiroshima in Japan.
* The Montréal Canadiens have
won 24 Stanley Cups, the most in the history of the NHL
|* In 2007, Forbes Magazine
ranked Montreal as the 10th cleanest city in the world.
* In the June 2008 edition, London-based Monocle Magazine ranked Montreal
as 16th in a list of the world's 25 most livable cities.
* In 1992, Montreal's 350th year, many of its attractions were expanded
* The first permanent European settlement was created in Montreal in
* Montreal became the capital of the United Province of Canada in
* Its population crossed the 1 million mark in 1950.
* Montreal hosted the Summer Olympics in 1976.
* It is home to an "Underground City", a climate-controlled labyrinth of
2000 shops, spread over an area of 18 miles.
* In Montreal, the English speakers are known as Anglophones.
* After New York, Montreal has the highest number of restaurants, per
capita, in North America.
|* Mount Royal Park
was designed by Frederick Olmsted, the same person who conceived Central Park in New York
* One of the major urban areas of Canada, In fact, the city is regarded
as one of North America’s great cosmopolitan cities.
* Montreal is one of Canada’s most important ports and is a vital
transshipment port for sugar, grain, oil, machinery and certain other manufactured goods.
* The city is also an important railway hub, with an underground rail
system called the Metro, inaugurated in 1966.
* Montreal lies at the base and the foot of Mt. Royal, from where
the place received its name. Around this mountain lies a large wooded park that extends till the center
of the city.
* Some of the major attractions within the city are an environmental
museum, insectariums, a museum of fine arts, a museum of contemporary arts, an amusement center, casino
and large botanical gardens.